EeePC - Fedora or Ubuntu?

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Sat May 30 17:20:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009 17:38:10 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
	[....]
> In my (fairly limited) experience, Xandros is not a good distribution.
> It does not seem to have a working repository system, so installing
> software (or upgrading) is not a simple process.
>
> I actually started by installing eeebuntu , as I was attracted by the
> idea that it was specifically tailored for the EeePC.
> But I was slightly disappointed by this, perhaps because I am not very
> familiar with Ubuntu.
>
> In any case, I decided to try Fedora-10, and found that much more to my
> liking. It actually worked better on my EeePC-4G, eg WiFi (to my
> surprise) worked out of the box, while eeebuntu seemed to require
> madwifi .
>
> The one thing I learned from eeebuntu was that Unetbootin is much better
> than livecd-iso-to-disk , which for some reason did not work on my USB
> stick.
>
> Also (very specific to the EeePC),
> ignore advice to go into the BIOS;
> just press Esc when re-booting
> and you will be asked which device you want to boot from.

	I have the 701, one of the earliest smallest slowest, and have
been trying one distro after another. I did not get the good result with
F10 that others did -- some error of mine, no doubt, but I don't know
what.

	Of the ones I've been trying Crunchbang (specifically Cruncheee)
and Linux Mint 7 seem the most promising. I had also planned to try F11
Live, but now I'm not sure ....