booting from USB on old machine without USB boot support

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat May 30 23:37:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 05:24:07PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 16:48 -0400, fred smith wrote:
> > I'm playing around with F11 pre-release, and wanted to install from the
> > DVD on an old PII I have here. trouble is I don't have a spare (working)
> > DVD drive, but I do have a USB DVD drive.
> >
> > This machine is old enough it won't boot from the USB DVD, so I was
> > wondering if there is a way to make a bootable CD from the DVD, and
> > use that bootable CD as we used to use boot floppies, back in the day,
> > to boot the system far enough to allow access to the DVD and to then
> > run the installation from the DVD.
> >
> > Anybody know?
>
> You could just install from a Live CD (I presume the machine has a CD
> drive). Once that's up, you should be able to install extra stuff from
> the DVD via the USB drive. In fact it's not hard to just configure the
> drive as a local repo so yum will consult it when updating (or just copy
> the DVD contents to your hard disk and do it from there if you have the
> space).

Poc, thanks for replying. Yes, I could do that. but I'm doing this
partly for fun and wondering if it's POSSIBLE to do what I asked.
I did try doing it from live cd, but this machine is so dog slow it
takes about 45 minutes to get to where it begins the installation,
then it chokes because it can't find the hard drive (I gotta fix that,
I know...:):) )