Viewing .jpg Pictures in Thunderbird

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun May 31 00:32:51 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Didn't you say it was a JPEG file? Those headers are for an
> undifferentiated binary file whose name implies it's a GIF, which isn't
> the same thing.

correct on gif. i did not realize i i told jim;

|> close thunderbird and then with a _plain_text_ editor, vi, kwrite, etc,
|> open email and change 'application/octet-stream' to 'image/jpeg'.

until i read your post. i guess too much reading of '.jpg' in his post.

it should have read;

|> open email and change 'application/octet-stream' to 'image/gif'.

as i stated, i do not know how thunderbird will handle such a change
because graphic files do have type embedded in first 9 bytes of file.

in fact, just to see what would happen, i sent my self a '.gif ' file
and changed '.gif' to '.jpg'. thunderbird showed '.jpg', yet it did
display correctly inline.

so, how ever thunderbird is reading file, file itself is being used to
determine how to be displayed.

therefore, i tend to conclude that ms email client may be doing more to
hide file type.

> Your problem has nothing to do with Linux. The sender's email
> configuration (or host platform) is broken.

he said they are using windows. it is not broken, it is just another case
of msbsos doing things 'their way'. 'the world is wrong. ms is right.'

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****