flashgot and download helper

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Sun May 31 06:09:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009 18:16:40 +0930, Tim wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 03:44 +0000, Thufir wrote:
>> I'm hesitant to kill totem.  Is it involved in the download somehow?
>
> Totem is a the video player ("movie player" in the Gnome menu).  If
> you're not watching video, then you can kill it.
>
> Your message sounds like a download started in the background (e.g. a
> page with embedded media), and kept on going, even though *you're* not
> looking at it.

It happened again, and I tried to kill totem through "top", but it kept
saying "no such process ID", so I fired up the Process Monitor GUI and
was unable to kill it from there, too.  It appeared to simply re-spawn
with a different PID (?).  So, I uninstalled it:

 Package                 Arch         Version
Repository         Size
Removing:
 totem                   i386         2.24.3-3.fc10
installed         5.7 M
Removing for dependencies:
 totem-gstreamer         i386         2.24.3-3.fc10
installed         133 k
 totem-mozplugin         i386         2.24.3-3.fc10
installed         487 k
 totem-nautilus          i386         2.24.3-3.fc10
installed          48 k
 totem-xine              i386         2.24.3-3.fc10
installed          87 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       5 Package(s)

However, I kinda need it, or mplayer, or something.  I'll try mplayer to
see if it has a similar interaction with wget, download helper and
flashgot.

-Thufir