I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ... (Gene Heskett)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun May 31 15:20:41 UTC 2009

On Sunday 31 May 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Also, I tried to join the pulse mailing list, but FF had a whole cow over
>> the https certificate, and I have never seen such a strong warning from FF
>> before so I didn't ok it.  Could someone advise Lennert that his sites ssh
>> certificate is dead or compromised?
>
>Most likely it's just a self-signed SSL certificate. Very common, and
>Firefox stupidly throws a fit over it (which is dumb because it encourages
>sites to just use unencrypted HTTP instead, which is even less secure, yet
>gets through with no warning). Just OK the certificate.
>
>        Kevin Kofler

Its a self signed certificate, apparently it is more paranoid about that than
it is about an expired certificate.  But then since its a redhat certificate,
should it not be a properly signed certificate.  Seems to me like it should
be.

I did, and went thru the knothole to subscribe, and that was fun.  The new
kmail apparently is messing with the hash numbers they use to confirm a
subscription, and my reply to the confirmation message bounced exactly as it
did for trying to join the nut-users list.  The only way I could confirm was
to use the web page link.  That was about 14 hours ago, and I have rx'd
exactly zero messages after the confirmation was rx'd.  For all the pulse
problems extant, that doesn't feel right.

I also removed those 4 pieces that I had installed, and rebooted yet another
time, and now I can listen to the news sites again.  With the enablers
installed, I get white noise for the audio with a news video I'm watching, and
its about 120 db louder than the kde sound effects which were the only thing
working, and I had to crank the PA gain to +480% to get that to work.

As a config tool, pavucontrol sucks.  Yes, it shows all the HDA (or whatever
that acronym is) stuff that is on this mobo (or on this ATI based HD2400-Pro
(rv610) video card but not bonded out for use, I wasn't able to determine
which from what it was telling me), but while you can reset the defaults to
use the audigy 2, you cannot disable or remove an unwanted choice.  And I have
NDI where it (pa) was getting the speaker shredding white noise, which FWIW,
was only present when story was playing.  And no one here seems to have run
into this before as I didn't get anything that might have been a clue as to
what to do next from this list in about 24 or so hours.  No fault of yours,
apparently I have the most unique ASUS motherboard ever made, an M2N-SLI
Deluxe.

So obviously what is nuke able, has been nuked, I've rebooted, and everything
is back to working.

What I take home from this experiment is that you want us to use it cuz it
sounds interesting to you, but that no one other than Lennert has a clue how
it works.  And there may be job assignment walls around that preclude his
using any paid time to support users with problem hardware.

IMO, if this is to be the default for fedora, then time should be allowed for
him to support those installs which are problematic.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Christ was born in 4 B.C.