WUSB54G firmware

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun May 31 17:36:42 UTC 2009

Jim wrote:
> On 05/31/2009 02:21 AM, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
>> <mailto:mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     FC10/Kde
>>
>>     I'm trying to setup a Linksys WUSB54G and I get this error message
>>     from DMESG.
>>
>>     usb 2-2: firmware: requesting l3886usb
>>
>>     usb 2-2: (p54usb) cannot find firmware (isl3886usb)
>>
>>     usb 2-2: firmware: requesting isl3890usb
>>
>>     p54usb: probe of 2-2:1.0 failed with error -2
>>     usbcore: registered new interface driver p54usb
>>

>>     I have googled isl3886USB and can't find the firmware, does anyone
>>     know where this firmware
>>     is.
>>

>> I am pretty sure I used one of those on F8, and it worked out of the box.
>>
>> Anyway, take a look at
>>
>> http://markmail.org/message/oqgtvzwxholc5dsl
>>
>> which will take you to:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/p54
>>
>> --
>> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
>> LCG - UFRJ
> I should have told you that I'm trying install on a X86_64 box.
>
> I did install the 2.13.24.0.lm86(2).arm and it is in /lib/firmware, it
> would not install in
> /lib64/firmware.
>
> I think I need to install the ndiswrapper for i386, I have
> ndiswrapper.X86_64 installed.
>
> The ndiswrapper.i386 doesn't show up in FC10 X86_64 fedora repo how do I
> change the repo's to read the i386 files ?

I think you missed a crucial step. Although right now I am using a
D-Link USB wifi receiver, I did try a Linksys for a few days after I had
set it up for the D-Link, and it worked right out of the box. So the
procedure should be the same. Here is how I did it for the D-Link.

1. I put the firmware in /lib/firmware/
2. Renamed it to 'isl3890usb'
2. in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/ ran "make menuconfig" as root,
enabled the relevant kernel module. then did a "modprobe <driver>". Here
<driver> is p54.

I believe you missed the renaming the firmware part.

HTH

PS: I am on x86_64 too
$uname -r
2.6.27.24-170.2.68.fc10.x86_64