I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ... (Gene Heskett)

Joonas Sarajärvi muepsj at gmail.com
Sun May 31 20:16:10 UTC 2009

2009/5/31 jdow <jdow at earthlink.net>:
> You'd think if Linux and Fedora were so hot and wonderful there would be a
> system wide audio service that actually worked from consoles as well as
> from X. I need both to work to make my setup function correctly. So I am
> stuck, crippled. That does not seem to be a problem in Windows with
> multiple sessions as with Windows Server editions.

While not usually necessary, Pulseaudio can be run as a system-wide service.

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/SystemWideInstance

I don't know if the instructions work on Fedora (The example is for
Debian), but hopefully someone more informed can enlighten us on that.

I also don't know if the vt sessions also start pulseaudio if it isn't
running. At least I have had audio working nice when using a vt.
--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj at gmail.com