F11: Espon Perfection 2480 USB scanner

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Nov 4 21:40:42 UTC 2009

lanas wrote:
> All,
>
>   Is there a HOWTO around on how to use an Epson perfection 2480 USB
> scanner on Fedora 11 x86_64 ?
>
>   So far sane-find-scanner (run as root) returns two devices:
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x146a [Knobloch-GmbH],
> product=0x0003 [fischertechnik Robo RF Data Link (Knobloch GmbH)])
> at libusb:004:002
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON],
> product=0x0121 [EPSON Scanner])
> at libusb:001:002
>
> I hope that the first one does not confuse the system.  It is *not* a scanner.
>
> Then scanimage -L returns:
>
> device `snapscan:libusb:001:002' is a EPSON EPSON Scanner flatbed scanner
>
> And when I try something like:
>
> scanimage -d 'snapscan:libusb:001:002'
>
> It returns:
>
> [snapscan] Cannot open firmware file /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin.
>
> [snapscan] Edit the firmware file entry in snapscan.conf.
>
> scanimage: open of device snapscan:libusb:001:002 failed: Invalid argument
>
> I have no idea what this is about.
>
> Any help welcomed.

It means it can't find firmware to install, and even if your device doesn't need
an upgrade it won't go forward. I found where to install the firmware, but that
was years ago (FC6) and I have used iscan since and can't really help. Of ten
there is firmware on the CD with the device which you can convert and install,
both using stuff I can't remember. At least now you know what's happening, I
suspect someone else will give you the details.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>