Errors from ata6:00 -- How to find corresponding device?

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 8 18:25:01 UTC 2009

On 11/08/2009 06:20 AM, Chris Tyler wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 09:17 +0000, Andy Campbell wrote:
>>> What does the 6 or 6:00 correspond to? It doesn't appear to be a major
>>> or minor device number, or correspond to any entries in /sys that I can
>>> find. If the 6 is not the device (but rather the driver version or
>>> something), is there any part of these messages that indicate which
>>> device is associated with the error?
>>
>> According to the libata wiki ...
>>
>> http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Libata_error_messages
>>
>> It should be the drive plugged into port 6 of your motherboard.
>
> Thank you! That's a great link; I had googled all over for that info but
> somehow didn't find it.
>
> I still wonder, though, how to convert "port 6" to a Linux device name
> -- surely the kernel knows the mapping somewhere, how do I get at that
> info?
>
> -Chris

Take a look at "/sys".  "ls /sys/block" will show you all the block
devices in your system and the device controller they are attached to.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2009-11-08 09:57 sda ->
../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sda

Now, "ls /sys/block/sda" will show something like this:

alignment_offset  capability  device     holders  queue  removable  sda1
  slaves  subsystem
bdi               dev         ext_range  power    range  ro         size
  stat    uevent

Some of these are "pseudo" files that you can cat, others are
directories the you can examine. The info you want is here.

Sorry I don't know the exact answer, but I'll bet that you find it by
poking around in /sys.

Regards,

John