f12 magnifying lens help

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Mon Nov 23 22:03:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

It seems to me in past days I've seen OS's with a magnifier ... like a
magnifying glass. Move it over something and it zooms that spot "in place".

Sometimes when I go to a web site with very small fonts or drawings I
would like to have such a tool to move around the page and magnify things.

My default f12 install has a package called "gnome-mag". From what I
have read on the web it is used/enabled by :

1) System->Preferences->Assistive Technologies dialog
2) Enable Assistive Technologies
3) Select through Preferred Applications-Accessibility-Visual-"Orca with
Magnifier"
4) Enable Orca "run at start"
5) Restart

But the magnifier seems a little clumsy--it takes over a static area of
a screen and tracks what is under the cursor, so I have to constantly
look to the cursor, then back to the magnifier, and back again as I read
through a page or diagrams.

I was hoping for something like a magnifying glass I could move around
the screen, perhaps with a control like a SpinBox or a ScrollBar to
adjust the magnification.

Is anything like this available for f12?

I can always stop by rite-aid and buy one for $2.99 or something :-)

Thanks,
John