How to set cursor in editor to pattern given on command line?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sun Nov 1 19:28:59 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I have rather general problem than Fedora specific:
is there some simple (the simpler the better) console editor,
in which is possible to specify string (or, better, pattern) on
its command line so that editor after start will locate in edited
file this pattern and will set cursor on it?

Just something as "+/{pattern}" option in vim editor does.

I want offer to (unexperienced) users edit (in shell script) some
configuration files, and this should be done with some simple editor
(no Emacs or vi). I think e.g. joe or mcedit is simple enough for
these users, but joe nor mcedit cann't? probably? solve this demand
(joe's command line option for jump to given line number (+nnn) isn't
too much useable for this).

Thanks in advance,
Frantisek Hanzlik