"shutdown now" on F11 as root problems and app crashes in VNC sessions

Comcast Mail kc8ldo at arrl.net
Sun Nov 1 23:04:59 UTC 2009

I've normally used the command "shutdown now" as root in a terminal window,
in a remote VNC session, on other machines and it works. I want to run the
machine I have as a headless server/remote workstation. On the F11 box I
have all it does is drops down to a CLI on the main console in run state 1
as root. Doing the same thing at the command line above at this point causes
the machine to reboot to a graphical login screen, not shut down! Selecting
the shutdown option at the graphical login screen however does work as
expected. Any clues?

Also how do you configure "bug-buddy". There doesn't appear to be any way to
configure bug-buddy after spending some hours looking on the Internet. I
have two Gnome apps that crash at startup in a remote VNC session too and
bug-buddy can't automatically send the error reports. In fact I haven't
found a site specific to the applications, one of which is the nm-applet and
the other is a gnome configuration editor I think they are.

73's

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO