Evince "home directory"

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 3 05:14:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 21:29 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> When I open a document from Evince (File-Open) I always get a window
> that says
> this:
>
>  "The folder contents could not be displayed Error stating file
> '/home/frankcox/Documents': No such file or directory
>
> I don't have a directory called Documents.

Me either, but I don't see that error.  But that might be because I've
customised something else.  I don't think Evince is hardcoded to that
location, but is using XDG environment variables for its starting point.

There's an xdg folders/file thingo that presets standard directories
used for certain things, (documents, downloads, etc.).  Programs using
those common file types, will use those locations by default (Evince,
OpenOffice.org, Firefox, etc.).

In my case, I've set them to ~/local/documents/, ~/local/downloads/,
etc., and created those locations, since I want a less cluttered
homespace, and since I have a similar ~/server/documents/ and
~/server/downloads/, etc., that I usually use, and I want a simple way
to keep things in order.

For system-wide configuration, see:
/etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf
/etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults

Read the opening comments in both of them.  If you dump all your files
into ~/data/, for instance, you could set all the locations to the same
directory.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686