Evince "home directory"

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 4 11:00:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 17:08 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> It's also infuriating that every time I need to store a file using one
> of the standard file dialogues, e.g. from Firefox, I have to navigate
> to the right place *every time*. Even within the same session of the
> app, there's no short-term memory of the last place I stored a file.

I found that sort of thing a right pain with gvim.  If I were editing
files on my website, I'd run the application, navigate to a file, work
on it, save it, then go to open another file, and I'd have to start
again from ~, as it didn't open the file lister in the same location
where I'd just saved a file.  That gets annoying, really fast, when
you're working on a lot of files.

That was with something like Fedora 5, which, thankfully, it stopped
doing around Fedora 6 or 7.  One of the reasons I only half-heartedly
used CentOS on a server was because it still did that stupid behaviour
on all the versions of CentOS that I'd tried.

At least, when running gvim from the command line, it started with the
current directory.  So you could cd to your server space, then run gvim,
and have less messing around.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686