should I go for 64bit version of Fedora 11 ?

Paul jpb at entel.ca
Wed Nov 4 18:33:36 UTC 2009

James Wilkinson wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>> I’d also advise the Original Poster to consider whether he might ever
>> upgrade this laptop.
>>

> Jatin K wrote:
>
>> Not in near future .... as I got it just before 4 days
>>

> But are you prepared to say “never”? Upgrades from 32 bit to 64 bit
> aren’t supported, and are considerably harder than a normal upgrade.
>
> If you go 32 bit now, you’ll have to do a reinstall to go 64 bit.
>
> James.

That depends on a number of factors, such as whether his laptop can even
handle more than 4GB of RAM, which most (with notable exceptions) pre-i5
laptops cannot do. If he were wanting to use F11 on an 8GB XPS
workstation with CAD class graphics running Lightwave then I would say
64-bit hands down. If he were wanting to install on a tower that had
more upgrade potential then there would be a case for it. As it stands
there's not a whole lot of benefit to running 64-bit on a laptop, and
there really won't be until 64-bit code becomes the standard and 32-bit
code starts to lag behind in updates, or not to be produced at all for
many packages, by which time I expect F14 or higher to be out.

Cheers,

--

Paul