Cheap Acer notebook on Newegg: What wireless chip does it use?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Nov 4 21:33:16 UTC 2009

Richard Shaw wrote:
> I found this laptop[1] for a GREAT price but I haven't been able to
> find out what wireless chip it uses and I want to make sure it works
> under F11/F12. I've tried acer.com but they don't list the chip.
> Anyone have one or know where to find it?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> [1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115654

Actually, you can add a Rosewill RNX-N100 USB 802.11n later. And they work great
with Linux (and the matching Rosewill Wifi router if you don't have n yet).

I think you may need the kmod-wl driver for the built-in chip, Acer like
Broadcom and my similar Acer does, but unless you think you will go to hell for
using non-open source drivers, you are fine. Supposedly 2.6.32 will support many
of these, but I'll pass on that kernel for a while, until I'm sure all the
issues with filesystem loss are fixed.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>