Fedora 11 x86_64, ATI HD4870, and RPM Fusion's Catalyst Drivers...

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 17:23:44 UTC 2009

Hi Raymond,

Firstly the rpmfusion-users[1] list is a better place to ask about these issues.

2009/11/5 Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622 at gmail.com>:
> Every time I try to boot with the Catalyst driver installed, all I get after
> the animated bars based boot screens is a blank screen. I can't switch to
> another tty or do anything other than reset via the hardware reset button. I
> can ssh into the machine, but issuing a reboot command doesn't reboot (I
> suspect that the system gets stuck trying to force kill X), and init 3
> doesn't change the video status (possibly for the same reason). I've since
> removed the Catalyst driver, just to get some work done, and I will post an
> Xorg.log when I'm feeling masochistic enough to try again. I'm using an Asus
> edition ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512 MB RAM, so I do believe that it should
> be supported by the Catalyst driver.

I have a similar card, ATI HD4870 1GB edition. You need to do some
config changes then everything should work just as expected. I have
been playing quakelive without any hitches for the last few weeks. :)

The following threads from fedoraforum should be helpful. The first
post summarizes the config workarounds I mentioned above.
* http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503
* http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1257973&postcount=3564

PS: Right now I am at work so can't give you the details about my setup.
Suvayu