Can a kernel rpm be built for i686 on x86_64?

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1 303 722 7209 wacker at octothorp.org
Fri Nov 6 10:15:59 UTC 2009

Hi all,

      Years ago, I successfully built an i686 kernel using a machine running
the x86_64 distro.  The kernel seemed to run fine.  The only trouble I
found was when I tried to build an external module, the build failed.  It
turned out that the kernel-devel package had a binary called genksyms.
That was still being built as an elf64 binary.  I can no longer find that
binary, so I believe it's now OK to build all my packages for i686 and
x86_64 at once on an x86_64 machine.  Is this recommended?  If not, why
not?

           TIA.

--
           Bill in Denver