Creating a local RPM repository

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 6 17:34:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 09:21 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> I am currently reviewing the possibility of allowing some of our
> employees to use Fedora on their machines instead of Windows.  On of
> my concerns is the bandwidth tied up by multiple machines downloading
> the same RPMs through our Internet gateway.  Is there a way to set up
> a local RPM repository on our internal networks so that the RPMs only
> have to be downloaded from the main repositories once.  All of our
> user machines would be configured to look at the local repository
> instead of the main one.

Yes, and if you googled your subject line, you'd probably have found the
answer.  Or you could try googling create local yum repo.

I don't recall the answer for creating the repo, else I'd say it here.
But it's not hard to find.  It comes up often enough.

Another option is to simply use a caching proxy (e.g. Squid) between you
and one mirror, and set the clients to all use the same mirror (through
your proxy).  When one client fetches a package, it's cached, the next
client will use the cached copy.  Squid will take care of expunging old
cached content, itself (there's file age, and amount of bytes filling
the cache, that it considers).  You don't have to set up one machine to
be a yum mirror, they're all just clients.

It's a marvellous way to stop Windows update from wasting your
bandwidth, too (if you're going to keep some of those Windows boxes
still working).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686