Creating a local RPM repository

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Nov 7 15:11:40 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Concretely, I want yum to look first in /var/cache/yum/updates on my
> laptop, then in alfred:/var/cache/yum/updates on a local machine,
> and then in the remote repository.

Why would you want yum to look in /var/cache/yum/updates on the local
system?  The only thing that should be there are things already
installed.  Or do you install and remove things frequently?

The /var/cache/yum dirs do not contain a repodata dir, so I don't know
if yum can use them as an entry in a baseurl option directly or not.
If not, you'd just want to run createrepo on the packages dir and then
add something like

baseurl=file:///var/cache/yum/updates/packages

Personally, I think that's a bunch of work for little gain.  If you
enough systems that need updates and you don't have bandwidth for them
all to update individually, you'd be better off using rsync to create
a local mirror or setting up something like IntelligentMirror.

> I've looked at a couple of the sites mentioned in this thread, and I
> am afraid the instructions are simply too complicated to follow.
> (The document you mention seems to have over 100 pages, which to me
> is information over-kill.)

I'm sorry that the information isn't presented in small enough bites
for your taste.  The section on creating a private mirror is only a
few paragraphs and links to IntelligentMirror if you'd rather check
that out.

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next
to me.
    -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)