shutdown problem -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Nov 7 17:38:44 UTC 2009

On 07/11/09 05:55, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>>     After yesterday's F-11 updates I was unable to shutdown this
>>     computer. It proceeded normally to stopping "fail2ban" and then just
>>     stopped there. I held the power button in to shutdown, rebooted and
>>     got the same result a second time. Control Alternate Delete had no
>>     effect. I shut down and went to bed. I expect it will do the same
>>     when next shutdown.
>>
>>     Am I alone in this?
>>
> I don't know if you are alone.  I just know that I'm not in the same
> situation.  Just shutdown my recently updated F11 system without
> problem.  I don't run fail2ban....so can't tell you if that is your culprit.

    I updated the second computer and it displays the same problem. The
    system stops at  "Stopping fail2ban" and I have no control after
    that. About all it does it acknowledge "Control-Alt-Delete pressed!"
    I can bring up another terminal and it asks me to loin but does not
    accept keystrokes. I will have to remove fail2ban in order to
    restore normal operation ...

    Oh-ho, it finally appears to have recovered and is now presenting me
    with a login screen. I logged in and entered "poweroff" and it is
    stuck at "stopping fail2ban" again.

    It stayed there six minutes and then shut down normally from that point.

    Bob