Creating a local RPM repository

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Nov 7 19:01:54 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> > yum install yum-plugin-priorities
>>
>> Thanks.
>> I've installed that, but haven't worked out
>> how to use it to make yum look on my local network ...
>
> yum doesn't know anything about "looking on your local network". You
> still have to set up a repo and point to it.

In that case, I'm not clear how yum-plugin-priorities would help.

I see that there is a yum-downloadonly package,
which I just installed.
This adds an option --downloadonly.

I assume that you can then later run "yum update",
and it will install or update the packages that were downloaded,
as well as any other new ones.

If that is so, then it seems to imply that yum looks first
in /var/cache/yum/ to see if required packages are already downloaded.
If it finds them there then it uses them;
otherwise it downloads them from a remote repository.

That being so, my question is: why not allow yum to look at
what yum has saved on another computer?

I notice that after installing the yum-downloadonly package,
there is another new option --downloaddir=DLDIR
which seems to allow RPMs (and other files in /var/cache/yum/ ?)
to be installed in a specified directory.

It's not clear to me if yum will remember this new directory
if I use both these options --downloadonly and --downloaddir=OLDIR ?
Or will I have to specify --downloaddir again when updating?

Is all this a possible way of saving RPMs on a /common directory
served by NFS?

I suspect I may have misunderstood the basics of yum ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net