Wine or Fedora display problem?

Beartooth Beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Nov 8 17:15:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 10:58:10 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> That was my point.  I've had success with many simple apps under wine. A
> few more "complex" ones.  Overall I would say mixed results.  So, I'm
> not sure I'd expect something like Garmin MapSource to run....and I'm
> not sure I'd expect many folks to have tried it.  I did go over the
> "CrossOver" web site and noted they don't have that listed in their
> compatibility grid.  FWIW, I wouldn't even pose the question "Fedora
> problem?" in the same breath with trying something under wine.  :-) :-).

	I wouldn't -- but that there are a couple things you don't know,
or don't appear to.

	Fwiw, I've been trying to get this specific app and three others
(from DeLorme, Maptech, and topo.com) usable under Wine a/o CXO since
1998, including a lot of hard work every two or three years with the help
of several lists where much savvier people interested -- on usenet, on
Gmane, and on grc.com.

	Meanwhile, of course, Wine has grown and developed mightily --
though anything using a serial port, as my Garmin GPSs all do, has always
lagged behind.

	Just this year (at last, at long last!) all of the following have
become possible with Garmin and Maptech suites under plain Wine : they
install, they run, and on some machines (four different PCs, but neither
of two thinkpads -- T30 and T42) they talk to my GPSs.

	I can transfer tracks, routes, waypoints, and (with GPSs that can
take them) maps to and from the PCs.

	IOW, at last, Garmin's MapSource suite can now do anything in
Wine under F11 that it can do under XP, except *only* for the updating.

	Seems to me I have some reason to hope one of you Alpha Plus
Technoids (APTs) might just possibly have already made that work, too.

	Note also that I did first try the other APTs on lists for Wine,
for GPSs, and for Garmin specifically.

	If not you, who? If not now, when?