Simple Network Question: Part 2

Dennis Mattingly dennismattinglyzzark at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 22:14:39 UTC 2009

>> I've had this issue since February (and Fedora 10).
>> One day my router-setup just didn't work anymore. had to plug directly
>> to wall / cablemodem
>>

>Could your router have malfunctioned? Can you test it with any other PC
>to verify?
>
>This makes it sound like a hardware error.. does your NIC link show
>green when it is plugged into the router?

UPDATED
I found a Windows machine, and was unable to connect to the router.
All LED lights show normal, but I'm going to call this a hardware issue
soon.

I can't even get to "configuration screen" of router.
Firefox, IE 7, etc... I can't get to router IP address.
All I can do is press the reset button on it, and I still can't configure
it.

Do I have to use static-IP address to reach router?
I'm still using DHCP.

So my last questions would be:
"Am I required to use Static IP address just to configure a router (via IP
address)"?
"Do I need any gateway settings / subnet / etc... just to access the
router's IP address?"

I believe the answers above are No (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
So I finally think it's a hardware issue.

Thanks for all the input.