problem with latest texlive 2009 rpms from Jindrich Novy

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Mon Nov 9 22:49:24 UTC 2009

I'm trying this version of texlive 2009 under Fedora 11.  I just updated
(now at texlive-2009-1.20091107.fc11.x86_64), and pdflatex is producing A4
pages instead of letter ones.  I reran both texconfig and texconfig-sys
and set the paper size to letter, but it doesn't seem to be taking effect.
Until today's update, I was getting letter paper.  (This is an update
*after* the one that removed /usr/share/texlive.)

/usr/share/texlive/texmf-config/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex correctly says

% Set pdfTeX parameters for pdf mode (replacing pdftex.cfg file).
% Thomas Esser, 2004. public domain.
\pdfoutput=1
\pdfcompresslevel=9
\pdfdecimaldigits=3
\pdfpagewidth=8.5 true in
\pdfpageheight=11 true in
\pdfhorigin=1 true in
\pdfvorigin=1 true in
\pdfpkresolution=600
\endinput

and "kpsewhich pdftexconfig" points to that file.  There's nothing in
~/.texlive2009/texmf-config.

Presumably I've screwed something up in the course of my update, but I
don't have any idea what.  Has anybody else seen this?

  George