Old Dual Pentium III 500Mhz Servers

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Tue Nov 10 00:34:20 UTC 2009

Aaron Gray skrev:
> I had FC4 and FC5 on the older servers.
> Now have F11 on the two newer machines.
>
> The new machines seem slower than the old ones were when they were
> originally put on line 4 or 5 years ago when running Apache
>
> It this a F11 v FC5 thing, or can I claw back some cycles by disabling
> some services and streamlineing Apache ?

Hi, Aaron. I've noticed a difference between FC6/Centos5 and F10 in how
'snappy' they feel, though I haven't compared them directly much. The
only 'measure' I have is (don't laugh) Gnomine; if you hit a square that
  opens a lot of squares, it's instant on FC6/Centos5, but it seems
unintentionally(?) 'animated' on F10. This is presumably such a simple
program that I guess the reason in this case is a much more complex
graphics/GUI subsystem. (This is all on one system; dualboot).

I wonder how one could profile an entire OS to find out where the cycles
   go? Is it feasible?

(Disclaimer: I used to have FC6 on the machine, but changed to Centos5
some time after the FC6 lifetime. I'm not sure about how directly they
would compare performancewise; am I wrong in thinking that they
shouldn't be too far apart? )

Best regards,
Frode Petersen