Mobile Braodband (GSM) on fc9 i686 laptop

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Tue Nov 10 02:18:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 15:11 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Mark C. Allman wrote:
> >

> > Consulting IT Project/Program Management: on-time, on-budget

Here's my "verizon" ppp (point-to-point protocol) config file, which is
in /etc/ppp/peers:

        /dev/ttyUSB0

        921600

        user <PHONE_NUMBER_FROM_VERIZON>@vzw3g.com
        remotename verizon

        noauth
        crtscts
        lock
        usepeerdns
        local
        passive
        defaultroute
        novj
        novjccomp
        connect "chat -v -t 60 ''  'ATZ' OK 'AT\&f' OK 'ATDT#777'
        CONNECT"
        disconnect "chat -v '' '\K' '' +++ATH0"

Obviously replace the "" with the phone number Verizon assigned for your
modem.  Then (as root) just type:

        pppd call verizon

Note: change the device from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyACM0 if that's the
device created when you plug the modem in.  I see that device (ttyACM0)
when I use my Treo 700p as a wireless modem (which is what I use now
instead of the Verizon USB modem -- save $60/month).

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
-- Twitter: allmanpc