Initializing hardware (new problem)

Robt C Parrish Sr. linuxnewbie at comcast.net
Tue Nov 10 05:51:10 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan at gmail.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: Initializing hardware

> Fedora 12 has not been released yet (though it will be very soon). What
> you're trying is one of the prerelease versions. These are discussed on
> fedora-test-list.

I knew it was a prerelease but simply assumed everyone on this list would
know that.

> If you're uncertain, wait a few days for the official release, then try
> the LiveCD version to make sure your hardware is supported. If all goes
> well then either install from the LiveCD or the full DVD.

I forgot that I could install from the LiveCD so I stuck that CD in.
Everything seemed to be going well until I got to the point of partitioning.
The LiveCD wouldn't let me format the /boot and / partitions as ext3...it
forced a ext4 format.  I went back and tried the regular CDs using the ext4
filesystem.  I still got the same error msg and went back to the LiveCD.
The installation went perfectly. After all was set and done I booted into
Fedora.  When I got to the Login I tried to login as root and got an
"Authentication Failure" message.  In other words, it wouldn't let me log in
as root (yes I used the correct password).  It would only allow me to log in
as a user.  I know I can use 'su' to switch.  I can't think of a specific
situation at the moment as to why but I would like the ability to log in as
root.

Robt C Parrish Sr
Linux Newbie