Initializing hardware (new problem)

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 16:26:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 00:51 -0500, Robt C Parrish Sr. wrote:
> In other words, it wouldn't let me log in
> as root (yes I used the correct password).  It would only allow me to
> log in as a user.  I know I can use 'su' to switch.  I can't think of
> a specific situation at the moment as to why but I would like the
> ability to log in as root.

This is a policy decision by the Gnome people and is the same in F11.
There has been much discussion of it on this list so you can Google for
workarounds if you like. Personally I think it's a Good Thing (tm) even
though as a KDE user it doesn't affect me, but let's not start another
thread about it :-)

(BTW the reason you can't think of why you would need to log in to the
GUI desktop as root is that there is no scenario in which that is the
only option to solve a problem).

poc