Slow Performance w/ Google Earth

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Nov 10 23:03:27 UTC 2009

Charlie McVeigh wrote:
> Starting about a month ago Goggle Earth started running so slowly that
> it is virtually unusable - prior to this I never had any performance
> issues with GE.  On my dual core system, one CPU tends to stay maxed out
> at 100% utilization and it will take 45-60 seconds to display the
> startup globe.  Once up, zooming in or moving around are so painfully
> slow that you just give up and close the application.
>
> Here are some of my particulars:
>
> i)  Lenvo Thinkpad T61, with Fedora 11 x86_64 up to date.  nVIDIA Quadro
> NVS 140M graphics with kmod-nvidia drivers up to date.  GLXgears = 4379
> frames per second performance.
>
> ii) I have uninstalled and re-installed Google Earth several times  and
> I experience the same slowness with both versions 4.3 and 5.1 of Google
> Earth.
>
> iii) Per advice from Googling for suggestions I have turned "atmosphere"
> off in GE.
>
> iv) When starting GE from the command line I get the following Error:
>
> Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 190.42,
> but this NVIDIA driver component has version 190.25.  Please make
> sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
> have the same version.
>

> I am wondering if I have some sort of library mismatch between x86_64
> and i586 versions of RPMs that are installed on my machine.
>
> Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this problem would be most
> appreciated.

I believe you will find that "glxinfo | grep rendering" may return
"direct rendering: No".

If that is the case, then it is telling you the nvidia driver is
incorrectly installed and certainly is confirming the Error above.  I
install the nvidia drivers direct.  I don't use kmod-nvidia so I can't
really advise you on what is the best method to correct the situation.

You may try starting your system in run level 3, removing the
kmod-nvidia and then reinstalling....

--
Do students of Zen Buddhism do Om-work? Guess Who!
http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7