unexpected logout

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Nov 11 12:06:17 UTC 2009

Dj YB wrote:

> well I have looked, and I still have no idea what I am reading...
> the log is attached if anyone wish to take a look it is not long.
> I really thank you and who ever will read this log and get a clue as to what
> is going on wrong.

The very end of the log file shows:

(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) HID 1241:1166: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Power Button: Close

This in indicative of a normal logout.

The one thing I should have pointed out is that the X server will
restart after every normal logout.  So, you have to make sure that you
are looking at the Xorg.0.log.old immediately after the event.  If you
actually did log out/in the file won't reveal anything useful.

When I had my issue I would leave my system logged in overnight (it was
a home system, no screen saver or other keyboard security needed even
with 3 cats) with no applications running.  In the AM the login screen
would be present and I would ssh into the system from another system to
make sure I got the "correct" X logs.

I also used "last" to see how the last session on :0 was logged.

So, just confirm the log file is the one immediately after the
incident...and check last.  I think you should only see lines like

egreshko pts/1         :0               Wed Nov 11 19:53 - 19:58
(00:04)  (Shows a normal log in and out)

and

egreshko pts/0        :0               Mon Nov  9 18:52 - down
(1+19:21) (Shutdown within a GUI log in session)

--
Yow! Am I having fun yet? Guess Who! http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7