Can we have different desktop backgrounds for different workspaces

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Nov 11 22:19:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Friday 28 August 2009 16:22:33 Gene Heskett wrote:
>> If only there were zoom buttons for both directions, there doesn't appear
>> to be a zoom in, only out to ever smaller muti-images, all the same pix
>> until it crashes.
>
> Use the Magnifying glass with a + on it.

Is there a reason for that rather nasty asymmetry?
After nuking my old .kde folder,
I was re-establishing multiple desktop backgrounds.
Not remembering said magnifier, I eventually tried logging out.
Zoom in should not have been hiding.
Zoom out, if either, should have been the inconspicous one.
I couldn't log in again.
It hung.
I started typing keys until I caused a reboot.
On logging in again, I discovered that I could
have different backgrounds for diffent desktops.
Not all are labeled correctly.
The only one I delberately changed is a single color.
The others are blue, but the desktop settings menus
claim that they are pictures of Leonidas.

Also, is there a way to get the desktop icons
to reflect to background of the dekstops?

What about the application icons?
Is there a way to get them to indicate the desktop to which they belong?

> Also, I sent another post with an easier way, but it never seems to have made
> it to the list (the same info did, in another list).  What it said was:
>
> Quicker way - and, I think, the way that I did it:
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ/4.3#How_can_I_use_virtual_desktops_as_activities_.3F

2.20

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.