Upgrades driving me crazy....

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Nov 11 22:59:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 17:35:14 -0500,
  Michael Pawlowsky <mikep at clearskymedia.ca> wrote:

> The main reason we are using FC is because one it's free (in a sense).
> The next one is that it does include more recent versions of
> packages that we use and are looking for the latest versions to take
> advantage of some new features and so on.

If there are only a few such packages you may want to use something like
CentOS or RHEL as a base system and use private builds of the particular
packages you are interested in.

> But now since FC8 is no longer being supported, it has caused some

Neither is F9 and support for F10 will end in just over a month.

> Also, I am wondering why it is not possible to simply keep upgrading
> packages, kernel and so on, as opposed to coming up with new
> versions every six months.

Because there are significant and disruptive technology changes that get
made between releases.

> To make things more difficult, our servers need to be up 24/7.
>
> Is FC simply a bad choice for enterprise production.

Usually.

> I'm starting to want to try CentOS soon. Unfortunately this will
> mean not always being able to take advantage of the latest features
> in software and so on.

That depends on what resources you have available to you.