disaster recovery Q's

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 23:04:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
<...>

> I just checked, and /etc/fstab is using UUID's, how can that be fixed, or
> should I just put it back to LABEL's and be done with it.  That drive is
> labeled, but I don't believe its  /boot for /boot, so

You can get the UUIDs from the HDDs with blkid. Just type at the CLI. Get the
number for the correct partition and stick it in the fstab and
grub.conf if needed.
You can always use the OS DVD to go into rescue mode (F5) to fix things.

> how do I get the labels off the drive?  Or should I just relabel it to gigo?

See the e2label man page
     # e2label /dev/sdaX   --shows current fileystem label
     # e2label /dev/sdaX newLabel -- assigns a new label to the filesystem

> And, if I rsync each directory tree to the new drive, will that move the UUID
> and/or labels too?

Hmm... where does e2label stores the filesystem label? I don't know.
I'd guess that dd would copy them, but not rsync. Anyone care to comment?

just be cautious and do a bit of your own reading before committing changes.
~af