unexpected logout

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Nov 13 00:33:43 UTC 2009

Dj YB wrote:
> On Friday November 13 2009 01:04:46 Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Dj YB wrote:
>>
>>> hello again
>>> the crash has occurred now while using Firefox / Konqueror / Gwenview /
>>> KMail something interesting else I notice now is that my kmail composer
>>> became slow again...
>>> anyway, I saw in the log some lines in the end that look like something
>>> not normal.
>>>
>>> Fatal server error:
>>> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
>>>
>> I am in agreement with both Bob and Tim.....
>>
>> I think you should post the log, as you did before, and it is most
>> likely memory problem as Bob has suggested.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> now this is weird, how come no one but me see the attached log file...
> perhaps it is because of the "old" extension, anyway changed it to "txt"
> hopefully now it will work.
> as to memory peoblem, is there a way to diagnose such a thing to be curtain?
> thanks,
> YB.

Yes, it is due to the extension and the way it is treated by MIME....but
that's another story.....

What is normally recommended is that you run memtest86+.  First you have
to install it as it isn't installed by default.  Then, AFAIK, the best
way to run it is standalone.  Meaning from boot.  As an example, I have
the following in my /boot/grub.conf file.

title Memtest86+
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /memtest86+-2.11 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_f11-lv_root rhgb quiet

Also, I have

timeout=8
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu

to ensure I can get to select what I want....  :-)

Since the problem is intermittent, you should leave it running for an
extended period.

Ed

--
Where's the Coke machine? Tell me a joke!! Guess Who!
http://tinyurl.com/mc4xe7