nuxeo ECM, and where is Context.compressReader() in openJDK?

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 12:20:48 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   let me see how succinct i can make this.  i'm writing a doc on how
> to install and build the open source nuxeo ECM software on fedora
> using openJDK-1.6.0:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Nuxeo_on_Fedora
>
> nothing deep about simply downloading and installing the zip file,
> that works fine.
>
>   however, trying to build the mercurial checkout fails, as you can
> read further down that page.  as i read it (and i could be wrong), the
> failure is the result of trying to call the java method
> Context.compressReader(), which i don't see exists anymore -- it's
> entirely missing from this page:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/apidocs/org/mozilla/javascript/Context.html
>
> and that certainly seems to be the problem based on the build error
> message, no?

I think it was a nonstandard extension to Rhino to read compressed
javascript.

>   someone from nuxeo just pointed out that they don't guarantee a
> successful build under openJDK, only under *sun's* java.  so does that
> mean sun's java *would* have that class method?  or am i
> misinterpreting this?  just for the entertainment value, it would be
> nice to finish that build with openJDK.  does anyone here know what
> the story is for Context.compressReader()?  am i reading correctly
> that it simply doesn't exist in openJDK?

Yes.  All you need to do is replace the call to Context.compressReader()
with a dynamic lookup.  There's an example at

http://fisheye5.cenqua.com/browse/dwr/java/org/directwebremoting/impl/ShrinkSafeCompressor.java?r1=1.1&r2=1.2&u=-1&ignore=&k=o

which shows exactly how to use Context.class.getMethod("compressReader",
and

compressReaderMethod.invoke

Andrew.