malingering printers

Mikkel mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Nov 13 15:52:06 UTC 2009

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> I have some HP inkjets. Sometimes they'll run low on ink, and cups will
> disable the printer. After replacing the cartridges, you need root
> access to re-enable the printers in system-config-printers.
>
> How can I avoid the need for root access? Is there a "printer enable
> thyself" option?
>
> - Mike

I am not sure about system-config-printers, but for the CUPS web
interface, you can set up other user name/group/password
combinations that have administrator access. You can also limit the
type of access specific groups have.

Take a look at the /etc/cups/cups.conf file. You may also want to
read the cups.conf man page...

Mikkel