Fedora 11 newbie question

Shadow Shadow at shadowsnetwork.com
Fri Nov 13 18:50:40 UTC 2009

Hi all - I need someone to answer a question and maybe give some advice.
I downloaded Fedora 11 to install on an older piece of hardware.  My
thoughts were to create a test server to test PHP site that I plan to
do.  It could also act as a web server for my internal network, but that
isn't a priority.  I have a little experience with Fedora (Fedora 2) but
nothing more recent.

I got Fedora 11 installed, and started to add packages.   During a
reboot, I lost the ability to log in through the GUI.  I could not
figure out what happened so I temporarily dropped the project for a
week.  Now I am back on it.......I found a posting in the forum that
mentioned logging in to the virtual interface by using ALT-CNTL-F2 and I
was successful in logging in as root.   The same posting mentioned that
this problem happen due to some problem with X11 server and that
downgrading it using YUM would solve the problem - didn't help me.  So
digging in the boot log, I noticed that the only error was httpd - I got
a MAKE_SOCK error due to the fact that the httpd address was in use.
That was the only error shown.  So I am thinking that is causing my log
in problem.

My qustion(s) - How do I find out what is bound to httpd?  How do I
disable it....either httpd or whatever is bound to it using the command
line interface?  Am I on the right track to solve the log in using the
GUI?

Thanks for any help

Shadow