one or more disks failling

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Nov 13 20:12:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 15:04:52 -0500,
  Tait Clarridge <tait at clarridge.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 06:33 +1100, L wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got a disk health warning from palimpsest disk utility "one or more
> > disks failling". It showed this disk has a bad sector. How can I check
> > what partion is the sector located?
> > or any fix?
> >
> > best
> >

> Backup all data you can and get a new hard drive. That's probably the
> best solution at this point.

If you have lots of money that's the recommended solution.
However if it's just one bad sector you may not even be able to RMA the drive
under warranty.

You can use the smartctl  (from smartmontools) to see how many bad sectors
you had had so far and how many of those are pending for remapping.

Depending on the file system on the device the following may help you find
out if any of your bad sectors are in files:
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html