man 3 switch

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sat Nov 14 18:36:01 UTC 2009

On 11/14/09 13:16, quoth Frank Cox:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:43:53 -0600
> Chris Adams wrote:
>
>> Would you expect to see individual man pages for "if", "?:", "void",
>> etc.?
>
> Actually yes, I would.  Those are fundamental parts of the C language and
> should have the same man documentation as the library functions.

There's a difference between a language reference manual, library function
references, system call descriptions, file formats, etc. Also, don't forget
that just because you're running linux doesn't mean that there might be other
C compilers out there, or the same compilers with different dialects. In any
event, you need to learn how to use the info system. The full documentation
for the gcc that is installed on you computer is available in info. In fact,
lots of man pages are flat out telling you that the info pages are where you
will see the *full* documentation.

Also, I recommend reading the intro page for each section

for ii in {1..9}
do
    echo "man $ii intro"
    echo "It's not just for emergencies"