Strange Nautilus behavior after updates and rebooting machine with VNC connection

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Sun Nov 15 05:21:17 UTC 2009

Anybody notice strange Nautilus behavior after updates and rebooting machine
with a persistent VNC connection setup?  I don't leave the machine on all
the time thus the rebooting. I've been getting rather annoyed with the way
Nautilus is failing to display my home folder's contents after doing a
routine update and rebooting the machine. Clicking on the home folder icon
will open the Nautilus application and display an empty window, on the right
hand side, where the contents of my home folder should be. The icon in the
upper right corner of the window has the spinning effect, like its doing
something, but nothing ever seems to show up. Nautilus will display the
folder contents of other folders just fine, just not my home folder after an
update reboot sequence. I did find that rebooting a second time always seems
to fix the problem, why I don't know.

I also have two applications that crash on me every time as well, nm-applet
and gnome-setting daemon, both while using a VNC session over my home LAN
when first booted up and connecting using VNC. The above two applications
don't seem to crash when logging in with a directly attached console
however. The application crashing I posted the crash report to the gnome
mailing list.

73's

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO