Fedora server consuming all memory and grinding to a halt

paul van der meij phjvdmeij at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 12:22:00 UTC 2009

2009/11/16 Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net>

> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:53:27 +1100
> Langdon Stevenson wrote:
>
> > Given these servers' perfect record in the past I am wondering if anyone
> > can suggest what might be going on?  Or how best to try to track down
> > the reason.
>
> I had a similar problem once and put a cron job in to run every
> few minutes and log the output of a ps command to a file with
> an output format that showed PID, VM size, and process start time.
>
> Then I whipped out a perl script to analyze the logs, find PIDs
> that were running a long time, and kept using more memory the
> longer they run.
>
> Of course, that just found what was leaking, it didn't find out
> why it was leaking :-).
>
> (And no, I don't think I have any of the scripts around anymore :-).
>
> --

I had a similar problem once, years ago, with a version of redhat linux when
the memory was faster used up than it was free'd by the paging daemon. I
managed to solve the problem by tweaking some kernel parameter's that
influenced the behavior of the virtual memory system. But I think that now
everything has improved with the current fedora versions, so this problem
has disappeared.

cheers
paul