Attempt to build kernel under fc11 x86_64 fails

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Mon Nov 16 20:24:42 UTC 2009

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Reg Clemens <reg at dwf.com> wrote:
> > I have just brought up 64bit fc11, done a 'yum update' to bring it up to
> > date with the current changes, and am trying to build the 2.7.31.6 kernel.
> >
> > This is my first try at a 64bit OS, so I may be doing something stupid.
> >
> > I see a number of compile errors/warnings, but the most significant seem
> > to be near the end of the build of the modules, where I see:
> >
> > ---

  << snip >>

> You've installed the 64-bit version of Fedora 11. So naturally the
> glibc that was installed is also 64-bit.
>
> Are you trying to compile a 32-bit kernel? Then you need to install
> the 32-bit version of glibc.

Nope, trying to build a 64bit kernel.

> Can you do a "rpm -qa | grep glibc"  and paste the output here?

Here is that result:

[reg at deneb ~]$ rpm -qa | grep glibc
glibc-headers-2.10.1-5.x86_64
glibc-common-2.10.1-5.x86_64
glibc-2.10.1-5.x86_64

> When you install 32-bit glibc, the file ld-linux.so.2 will be
> installed. Presently it is not.
>
> Can you do a search for ld-linux.so.2 by using the following command?
>
> # find / -name ld-linux.so.2

[root at deneb reg]# !!
find / -name ld-linux.so.2 -print
[root at deneb reg]#

Nope, not found, looking at my fc10 (32bit) this is a symbolic link pointing
to ld-2.10.so in the same directory.  Looking at /lib, thats not there either.

In a 2nd email, you asked for

> Can you also do a "head -n 15 .config"?

Here is that listing.

[root at deneb linux-2.6.31.6-PPS]# head -n 15 .config
#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
# Linux kernel version: 2.6.31.6-PPS
# Sun Nov 15 18:49:16 2009
#
CONFIG_64BIT=y
# CONFIG_X86_32 is not set
CONFIG_X86_64=y
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf64-x86-64"
CONFIG_ARCH_DEFCONFIG="arch/x86/configs/x86_64_defconfig"
CONFIG_GENERIC_TIME=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CMOS_UPDATE=y
CONFIG_CLOCKSOURCE_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_CLOCKEVENTS=y

---

So, to me it looks like (at least) one rpm did not load, yet the rpm -qa shows them
as having loaded.

I just went back and did a
        sha256sum Fedora-11-X86_64-DVD.iso
and it gave the correct checksum,
however when I did
        sha256sum /dev/cdrom
to check the DVD, it did NOT give the correct checksum.
Perhaps I should reburn the DVD ?  Or is this not the correct way to check the DVD ?

In any case, any thoughts on my problem will be appreciated.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com