trying to understand SELinux message

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 08:05:06 UTC 2009

2009/11/16 Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:
> On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 13:56 +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) wrote:
>> Well, for home or personal use systems, you don't really need SELinux.
>> SELinux is for mission critical servers.
>
> Until you do something that SELinux would have protected you from...
>
> People do actually do things that need securing, on home computers (do
> their banking, etc.).  Just browsing the internet and reading your mail
> are the two major points of breakdown on the Windows world, and I'd like
> it if that problem doesn't migrate over to Linux, as well.

SELinux is not going to protect you from phishing or cross site
scripting attacks.  It's not going to offer much protection for just
browsing the internet.

On the other hand, disabling it is often part of my troubleshooting
process and I've had times (even with F11) when that has been
necessary just to get a working system.  I'll aim to get things
working 'properly' (i.e. with it on) again, but to see disabling
SELinux equated with running as root elsewhere in this thread is a bit
surprising.

--
imalone