Fedora 12: Install: 3D Graphics System Problems Still

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Tue Nov 17 15:53:28 UTC 2009

I have just done some test installs of Fedora 12 on two different
hardware platforms using: Fedora-12-i686-Live-KDE.iso via a
USB stick.

The installs went fine and the install experience was good and
relatively quick. I have not had a good look at the system yet,
but superficially it looks fine.

However, there are some serious graphics issues still, at least
on the two systems I have test installed onto.

System 1:
With: With: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
With: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family)
Boot sometimes fails with a message like "drm: ... tried to release a fb we did
not own"
glxgears runs fine at 999FPS
blender locks up the X (system still running but unable to kill X)
Not sure if PulseAudio is working (GUI messages stating problems)

System 2:
ATI Technologies Inc RV535 [Radeon X1650 Series]
With: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)
Fails at boot 30% of the time. locks up with black screen
glxgears runs at 0.8FPS !!
blender runs (I think) but takes > 5mins to display the first screen
Not sure if PulseAudio is working (GUI messages stating problems)

This is not good. The 3D graphics system, appears to me, to be still
severely broken. In fact there are also 2D problems now (lock ups)
which were not there in F11.
A lot of people have obviously done a lot of good and hard work on F12,
but it looks like the graphics system is going to let them and the
system down again.

I really think some serious work needs to be done to stabilise the
graphics system. This includes much better QA. I note that F12 is
using Mesa 7.7-devel even though the RPM's are 7.6-0.13. I thought
that 7.6 was now a stable branch and 7.7 an experimental branch ?
Couldn't F12 use 7.6 and feedback issues on this to get a stable release ?

There were no real 3D graphics updates in F11, is this going to be
the same for F12 ?
I will try F12 on some other systems, but if there are not going to be
any updates that fix the 3D graphics issues in F12, I for one cannot
use the system and will have to stick with F8 or find something better.

Terry