Nautilus: How to add/remove filesystems from appearing in "Removable Media" and Desktop?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Nov 18 00:04:01 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:19:19 -0800
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>
>> I would like to prevent certain filesystems from automatically
>> appearing in the "Removable Media" panes and from appearing
>> on the user's desktop as icons.
>
> Don't know about per-user, but this changes a lot in Fedora 12.
>
> Prior to fedora 12, things were managed by hal, and obscure
> files like /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-stop-hal-stop.fdi containing
> this stuff worked to hide my backup disk:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>   <device>
>     <match key="volume.label" string="BACKUP">
>        <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
>     </match>
>   </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> with fedora 12, everything moved to udev and DeviceKit
> and the different obscure file
> /etc/udev/rules.d/99-zzz-local.rules has this:
>
> # tell annoying tools on system there is a friggin reason I didn't mount
> # these things and they shouldn't go mounting them either.
> #
> ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="BACKUP", ENV{DKD_PRESENTATION_HIDE}="1"
>
> Obviously repeat lines for as many different labels as desired.
>
> This seems to have the effect of completely hiding the
> partitions with those labels. Nautilus doesn't automount
> them and put annoying icons on desktop and the GTK file
> browser doesn't show them as choices to browse.
Does anyone know how to mount a specific drive automatically
especially when automount is turned off?

 <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
   <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
     <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">false</merge>
   </match>
 </match>

I was wondering if the following would "automount" the
specific drive in question:

 <match key="volume.label" string="App1-fd1">
    <merge key="volume.mount" type="bool">true</merge>
 </match>

Obviously, I used the key: "volume.mount" which is made up...

So how is it done?