using squid as a yum cache

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Nov 18 13:49:02 UTC 2009

>> why you don't create a private fedora mirror ?
>
> Wouldn't he need to download a lot of packages that his machines
> won't be using?

Yes, that's why I didn't want to set up mirrors (I would have to mirror
fedora, updates, rpmfusion, i686, x86_64, etc, etc...)

>>> Adding the "proxy" line to yum.conf is obvious, as is enlarging the
>>> cache object sizes, but are subtler changes needed? For instance,
>>> does the use of mirror lists cripple the caching, since each client
>>> might request from a different mirror?
>
> Yes.  Set a baseurl of the one true mirror to use.  mirrors.kernel.org
> is a good one many places.

OK, thanks, that's what I thought.

Maybe in the future yum could have a feature to auto-magically query
computers on the local subnet for the presence of an already-downloaded
package, and then just scp it locally...

- Mike