internet (without LAN) monthly traffic statistics

Ryan Lynch ryan.b.lynch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 14:32:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 09:27, Dj YB <yehielb at mail.ru> wrote:
> iptraf is really complicated and require too many changes,
> vnstat doesn't support the separation using single interface...
> any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Cacti is good at this, and I think MRTG can do it, too. But neither of
those is simple to set up. I'd give them a try, though, you might do
OK.

Depending on exactly what numbers you need, NTop is also a
possibility. It's dead easy to set up, and it's capable of breaking
out separate interfaces. The level of detail will be enormous, but
it's actually (IMHO) much easier/faster to get running than either
Cacti or MRTG.

If you're good with any scripting languages, you might want to
consider just polling the kernel's interface counters, yourself, via a
regular 'cron' job. That might not be an option, though, depending on
your skill level.

-Ryan