F12 work around for out of space on /boot for preupgrade?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Nov 18 16:10:44 UTC 2009

Steven Stern wrote:

> There is an upgrade directory on /boot.  Can I move the upgrade
> directory to another partition and link them?  That is, will this work?
>
>    cd /boot
>    mv upgrade /tmp/upgrade
>    ln -s /tmp/upgrade upgrade

That won't work. /boot is a partition. When the installer starts it will
mount /boot as /mnt/sysimage/boot. Your link will not be valid.

What I did was place the /boot/upgrade/install.img on a thumb drive and
deleted it from /boot. Anaconda then asked for where the install.img was
and I pointed it to my flash drive. F12 upgraded without a hitch.