F12 installs report here.

N James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 18 16:19:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 14:56 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:

> On 11/17/2009 09:01 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > Subject says it all.  Tell us about your experience.
> >
> > LG
> >
> So far, so good.  I downloaded the i386 DVD via torrent last night and
> just ran the upgrade.  Yum is updating now in the background.
>
> Sound Just Works!  Including the stuff from RPM Fusion.

Alas, upgrade from F11 to 12 x86-64 did not work for me (from DVD).
First reboot just led to a black screen. Then I tried a fresh install
but leaving the old /home partition. Foolishly I tried setting the
system to use additional repos. That caused it to get stuck. Tried
again, but now it insisted I must use extra repos - as though it could
not find the local installation media - ie the dvd used to boot the
machine! This happened twice, so I decided to go back to F11 - and the
same thing happened with that. Gave up and went to bed! This morning I
tried again with F12 and just let it do the default installation, which
worked correctly. Fortunately I had a full backup of the /home folder
but it would have been nice if it had just worked...

Does anyone have any idea why the install would somehow "lose" the local
installation media? Or how this could possibly carry through to
installing F11? The dvd drive is only 6 months old and the hard drive
passes all its health checks.

--
N James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>